St. Paul Public Schools District History Day Event
Important Contest Update: March 12, 2020
To ensure the safety of students, teachers, judges, and MNHS staff, the Minnesota Historical Society has made the difficult decision to suspend remaining in-person Regional History Day competitions and move them to a virtual format during the month of March.
This includes all Regional events slated for March 12 and later: Metro Junior West, St Paul Public Schools, Southeast, Metro Junior Central, Minneapolis Public Schools, West Central, South Central, Central, and Metro Junior East.
- Website Lockout: Thursday, March 19 at 10:59 pm CST (Website entries for Southeast and Metro Junior West were reviewed by judges in advance of the change and should look to their event coordinator for information on when their results will be announced and websites unlocked)
- Exhibit/Documentary/Performance Material Upload: Thursday, March 26, 10:59 CST
- Websites Unlocked/State Qualifiers Announced: Tuesday, March 31
- Exhibit/Documentary/Performance State Qualifiers Announced: Monday, April 6
Specific Category Information
- Website: Website students have submitted their NHDWebCentral URL with their registration. That URL will be shared with judges to review, rank, and provide feedback. The lockout will start at 10:59 pm on Thursday, March 19 and will unlock for editing with the announcement of State Qualifiers on Tuesday, March 31.
- Exhibit: Students will submit a PDF of a Google Slides or PowerPoint presentation with photos of their Exhibit board. Each slide will focus on a different part of their project, and a linked PDF should include their Process Paper and Bibliography. The template and submission link for these presentations will be sent to teachers at the school. Exhibit students will still need to complete a physical Exhibit from which to submit their photos.
- Documentary: Students will need to submit an online link to their Documentary and a PDF of their Process Paper and Bibliography via submission link provided to teachers. We recommend a public/shareable link from Google Drive to avoid possible removal of the project by YouTube due to copyright.
- Performance: Students will need to submit an online link to a recording of their Performance and a PDF of their Process Paper and Bibliography via a submission link shared with teachers. Students may rehearse and record multiple takes, but the finalized link cannot be video edited, include zooming, or special camera angles. It must be recorded as if a judge was watching directly in front of them. A private/unlisted YouTube link or public/shareable link from Google Drive would work well.
Due to the nature of the virtual contest and the thousands of students involved, we are unable to coordinate virtual interviews between judges and students. According to the NHD criteria, interviews are NEVER part of the evaluation process. Projects are judged on the information presented in the project and in the supporting paperwork (annotated bibliography/process paper).
All entries will get feedback from judges, who will submit their comments digitally. You can expect feedback during the first week of April, once the virtual contest is complete.
Additional Event Information
Please contact Kyle Imdieke with questions.
While we recognize this may cause inconvenience to parents/teachers and disappointment to students, making the decision now allows Minnesota History Day staff the lead time and staff capacity to rework the remaining Regional contests into a virtual format before State and National Contest deadlines. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
State and National Contests: No decision has been made in regards to an in-person or virtual format for the State Contest, currently scheduled for May 2, or the National Contest scheduled for June. We will update teachers as soon as decisions are made.
More information is available on the Minnesota History Day website.